Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 16:55:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Led Duk <ledduk@gate.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What Happened???

------=_NextPart_000_0000_00000004.01BE17D2

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Led Duk wrote:
>   My intent is to ftp FreeBSD down to my system. I am currently running MS-DOS and have been attempting to make a boot disk. I downloaded the 2 files for that, entered the commands, the floopy was formated, etc. I rebooted the computer. What I was faced
 with then was a line stating the file boot.config could not be found, then a line stating that boot.help could not be found, then a couple of lines about FreeBSD and A: drive.

Information messages only.

> Then the prompt came up, followed by boot:
>
> Then the statement that the kernel could not be found.
>
> Then all I got was a continious cycle between boot: and the kernel missing message.
>
> Uh....what is it trying to tell me?

Sounds like a bad boot floppy.  Get another copy of boot.flp, make sure
it is downloaded in binary mode, run fdimage or rawwrite on a new
diskette.

Downloading in ASCII or *any* defect on the floppy will create an
unusable boot floppy.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com

------=_NextPart_000_0000_00000004.01BE17D2--