Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 07:27:56 -0400
From:      "bill" <bill@TechServSys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   help a poor refuge from SCO UNIX (SysV)

I think it would be easier to learn freeBSD from scratch rather than fall into all
the holes where the same command does slightly different things on SCO
and freeBSD.  Help !

1) I want to see all processes to be able to grep the pid of the one I want.  ps
-a doesn't show process detached from ttys apparently.  ps -ef doesn't do it
either.  what is the correct arg for ps ?

2) how do I ask the system to start ftpd upon startup.  I read /etc/rc and
rc.conf and didn't see a place.  (I love rc.conf - it, like most of the files are
beautifully commented as are the man pages) .
   or, perhaps, to start it on demand, what is the ineted file ?  In sco it is
inittab, but freeBSD apparently uses something else.

in a related question, does freeBSD use TCP_WRAPPERS or something
else.

3) is there a link to a tutorial or listing of differences between SysV and
freeBSD ?

more questions to follow.  Thanks for the help on these.

-bill-