Date:      Wed, 03 Mar 1999 10:41:24 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        kpielorz@tdx.co.uk
Cc:        grant@vbc.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ECC formatting

> This sounds like it might be a hardware issue? (And has little to do with
> FreeBSD :-) - Are you sure the drives will do 528 bytes per-sector? - I'd
> imagine this would have to be done transparently?! - Do you really need this
> if the drives are in a RAID array anyway?

If you want hot-swap capability, you probably need it.

> Most (if not all) current drives have their own hardware / transparent ECC
> code on the drive, which uses things like read-solomon coding to detect and
> correct errors - and cannot be switched off (AFAIK).

The point of 528 bytes per sector is to get extra error detection/correction
info all the way from the platter to the RAID controller. The hardware ECC
on the drive isn't enough to cover electrical noise etc. on the SCSI bus
when you're doing hot swap.