Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 09:07:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Andy McConnell <andym@ntt.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dave Goodman <daveg@crt.com>
Subject:   Gateway 486DX2-66 and ISA network cards

We tried this weekend to install 3.1-RELEASE on a Gateway 2000 486DX2-66
with ISA slots and various different network cards...  Some supported,
some not.  But every time, FreeBSD refused to recognize the cards.

We were working with:
D-Link DE-220 (probably not supported, no we changed cards)
NetGear 201 (same deal - our fault for getting something not in the FAQ -
but it was NE2000 compliant, or so we thought)
Intel EtherExpress Pro/10+  (Specifically supported by ex0 (man 4 ex))

Nothing.

We ran the Intel diagnostics disk program (Softset2), forced the IRQ and
port number to 5/0x300, and tested it... worked great, according to the
softset2 program.  We even recomplied the kernel giving the ex0 driver
the specific irq 5 and port 0x300 arguments.  And we made sure to disable
the PnP on the card, and saved it all to the NIC's memory.

Nothing.

The closest we came was the ie0 driver found a board at 0x300, but said it
could not inderstand the boad ID.  That made sense to us, since it's the
i82585 chipset on the card, not the i82586 that the ie driver supports.

We tried looking in the Gateway's BIOS settings for something to tweak -
there was nothing.

Is there anything else we may have overlooked?

-Andy

--
Andy McConnell      		真向練 安堵龍
Network and IP Service Division, NTT America

As your attorney, it is my duty to inform you that it is not
important that you understand what I'm doing or why you're paying
me so much money. What's important is that you continue to do so.
                               -- Hunter S. Thompson's
                                  Samoan Attorney