Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 18:00:39 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@freebsd.org>, Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, root@ihack.net, freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Competition

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 10:51:03AM -0400, Robert Watson wrote:
[snip Robert Watson quoting Mike Smith]

> Actually, the check of the "helo" field is something I'd like removed: it
> makes life very difficult for hosts behind NATs without proper SMTP
> proxies (such as default installs of our natd, which does not include an
> SMTP proxy :-).  It's not possible to send-pr from internal machines
> behind my NAT without having world-visible DNS names for all my internal
> machines.

So configure your MTA to send the NAT proxy address in the HELO; this might
make other MTA's on your LAN unhappy, but the world outside sees a kosher
HELO with the exact hostname of the host it's coming from.

I don't know how to do this with Sendmail or Postfix; with qmail, all
it took was a one-line /var/qmail/control/helohost containing the desired
hostname to send.

G'luck,
Peter

--
The rest of this sentence is written in Thailand, on