Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:18:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Yahoo hacked last night

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> One thing i never understood... why does a buffer overflow automatically
> cause a root shell, or does it always?  I mean, when i crash
> programs, i get a core dump and that's it.  Even with segmentation faults,
> the memory protection seems quite robust, and the OS stays on its feet.
> I've never been dropped to root on my own system, despite crashing.

It happens because by carefully crafting the stuff which overflows the
buffer (i.e. actually presenting machine-executable code instead of
arbitrary data), the attacker can cause his code to be executed by the
attacked machine (this is often why buffer overflows cause crashes,
because the buffer overflowed into an area read and interpreted by the
program, which can be exploited to change the execution of the program).
This can lead to the execution of a shell under the user ID of whatever
was running the exploited program - in the case of a daemon running as
root, it would be a root shell.

Kris