Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:57:32 +0100 (MET)
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Interest in large collection of Lisp/Scheme implementations?

I have been maintaining almost every free Lisp and Scheme system on my
NetBSD/i386 machine for several years now.

I'm moving my work to FreeBSD and I wonder if there is interest that I
take the extra effort and make proper FreeBSD ports/packages of all
these.

If you have an opinion, could you please drop me a note on the
following questions? Thanks!

- Is there some interest to have such a wide collection of
  Lisp-related packages on FreeBSD or do you think is a rather
  pointless or would you fear FreeBSD could be seen as some kind of
  "new Lisp machine"?

- Can I rely on the commiters that updates are being brought in the main tree
  quite fast? This community is quite sensitive and I need to react
  fast if I made a suboptimal port. If you think the OpenBSD
  discussion was a flame war, you haven't heard talking FooScheme people
  talking about BarScheme's implementation.

I noticed jmacd@FreeBSD.ORG has some ports of Scheme. If you read
this, would you please contact me?

I'm talking about more than just compiling these packages. I plan to
make Common Lisp/Scheme libraries availiable for as many
implementations as possible. This is a very time-consuming thing to do
starting from individual sources (there's no ./configure in Scheme
:-). And using shared libraries instead of static ones where it makes
sense (the Boehm GC and some regular depression packages are used
quite often). A proper setup of elisp packages so that control to
several implementations is granted from emacs is needed. I also plan
to see how one can use FreeBSD's VM system to speed up some
implementations and promote the results.

I think we could make FreeBSD a nice platform for fans of dynamic
languages. Just a few commands and get the full range. And FreeBSD's
VM system will make it the best platform for people with too few
memory anyway, but I fear I could be the only one interested in all
this. So please speak up if you want it (Alternativly, I could just
burn my /usr/local on a CD and send that around).

To list a few numbers: There are about 20 standalone implementations
of Lisp-like languages (counting only interesting ones). There are
about half a dozend implementations that can be used as an extension
language library for C or C++ programs. I have no idea how many (Lisp)
libraries could be worth making a package from, but 10 at least. Some
elisp packages and C libraries are needed for support.

Thanks for feedback (posistive or negative)
	Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer