Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 1996 15:30:44 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mattz@sat.net (Matthew Z. Stout)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange Behavior

Matthew Z. Stout stands accused of saying:

> I have a newly installed verion of FreeBSD which is acting
> strangely.  I went through the Generic Kernel (a copy) and commented
> out the components I did not need, then went through config and
> make.  Config worked, but make returned an error 11 I think (I
> did'nt make a note).  As a test I tried again with fewer
> modifications; SAME RESULT.  Once more I tried, this time simply
> using the Generic Kernel as it was delivered on the CD.  Again the
> make command returned the error even though I made no modifications
> what-so-ever to the Generic Kernel.  Any ideas what could be causing
> this???  Thank you for the assist.

Something that you need to learn :
ALWAYS WRITE DOWN ERROR MESSAGES.  WE CAN'T READ YOUR MIND, OR TELEPATHICALLY
COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR COMPUTER.

Sorry, but that _really_ narks me.  "It doesn't work, and I can't be
bothered telling you enough about it to fix it, but I still expect instant
help."

Regardless, I'm so studly that I know the error you're talking about 8)
What you're actually seeing would contain the words "signal 11".

You have hardware problems.  Either bad memory, cache, motherboard or
(if you're using one) SCSI controller.

Start by increasing your memory waitstates if your BIOS allows it,
also try disabling the motherboard cache, and the processor's onboard cache.
If none of this helps, try swapping your RAM with memory from another machine.

Good luck.

]] "wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai                   [[