Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 1997 19:13:37 +0900
From:      Kenjiro Cho <kjc@csl.sony.co.jp>
To:        Yoshikazu Oda <oda@nal.ecl.net>
Cc:        P.Gevros@cs.ucl.ac.uk, salo@msc.edu, freebsd-atm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Efficient ATM card.

>> You can use only 1WORD-DMA for first generation pci chipsets.
>> It is default setting on HARP version 2.1. (So, this version
>> may work on old chipsets' machine.)

It's good to know they are really broken.
It seems to me that using a broken old pci chipset for ATM doesn't
make sense since people want to use ATM for performance and there's no
way to get good performance with those chipsets.

>> I'm also looking for traffic shaping function for ATM card too.
>> I know ENI card supports traffic shaping on its hardware (but no
>> other cards support it). There are 8 channels for PCR timer (only
>> PCR, so it can't support VBR service), and setting two parameters
>> (Pr,Rate_Res) to specify PCR for each channel. But I don't know
>> this may work fine.

>> I'd like to know more about WRT's work for traffic shaping.
>> Is it hardware shaping on ENI card or shaping with software or else?

You're right about ENI's hardware shaper.  It works pretty well.
You might want to take a look at Werner Almesberger's Linux driver to
know how to set these parameters.

(BTW, software shaper won't help to get through the UPC.)

--kj