Date:      Mon, 25 Dec 2023 16:08:16 +0100
From:      Robert Clausecker <fuz@freebsd.org>
To:        Gleb Popov <arrowd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Robert Clausecker <fuz@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64 SIMD libc work has landed

Hi Glen,

Am Mon, Dec 25, 2023 at 06:01:36PM +0300 schrieb Gleb Popov:
> On Mon, Dec 25, 2023 at 5:38 PM Robert Clausecker <fuz@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings!
> >
> > I am happy to announce that the FreeBSD Foudation sponsored amd64 libc
> > SIMD enhancement work has landed in CURRENT following extensive testing.
> >
> > Big thanks to all those who assisted in testing and reviewing the
> > changes, especially to mjg@ and kib@.
>
> Congratulations on concluding this project.
>
> > If there are any problems resulting from this changeset, please do not
> > hesitate to file a bug report.
>
> So, to try this out it is enough to just "git pull && make buildworld
> && make buildkernel" ?

Yes, indeed!  Though note that these changes affect the userspace only.
SIMD is generally disabled in the kernel to avoid having to save/restore
the SSE state.

> > ... at run time by setting the environment variable ARCHLEVEL to "scalar"
> > (using hand-written scalar assembly implementations instead) or at
> > compile time by building world WITHOUT_MACHDEP_OPTIMIZATIONS.
>
> Whoa, I'm excited to see the knob I introduced getting more use cases.

Yours,
Robert Clausecker

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign - for an encoding-agnostic world
/\  - against html email  - against proprietary attachments