Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:07:30 +0100
From:      Vince <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
To:        David Banning <david+dated+1177259125.e87a07@skytracker.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail with dovecot with nologin account

David Banning wrote:
> I am using dovecot imap and I am having a problem directing mail to
> go to users in Maildir format when they do not have a login shell.
>
> It seems that the .procmailrc file is ignored and the mail is put
> in mbox format into /var/mail
>
> For mail-only users with-out a shell, what is the best way to direct
> mail to them in Maildir format within ~/Maildir - maybe directly from
> .forward?

Not an expert but I am just starting to think about moving from mbox to
mdir on my home server, so Id be interested in how you get on.
man procmail says
       If  no rcfiles and no -p have been specified on the command line,
proc-
       mail will, prior to reading $HOME/.procmailrc, interpret
commands  from
       /usr/local/etc/procmailrc (if present).  Care must be taken when
creat-
       ing /usr/local/etc/procmailrc, because,  if  circumstances
permit,  it
       will  be  executed  with  root privileges (contrary to the
$HOME/.proc-
       mailrc file of course).

So you may need to set the default location here.
Something like
DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

Vince