Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:18:22 -0500
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        Rui Paulo <rpaulo@gmail.com>, Alexey Shuvaev <shuvaev@physik.uni-wuerzburg.de>, hackers@freebsd.org, Nate Eldredge <nate@thatsmathematics.com>
Subject:   Re: genuine cpu I386_CPU kernel support

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 05:54:34PM +0200, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> 4.11 fell out of security support some while back, but
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/security/index.html
> only lists what's still in, not what fell out when.

Then see http://people.freebsd.org/~linimon/schedule/milestones.html.
(Yes, I know the data for 7.2 and 8.0 are stale.)

4.11 support was extended again and again but ended 01/31/2007.
Towards the end it was consuming a lot of people's time to support
it, since everything newer had changed dramatically.

> Free/ Net/ Open/ Dragon etc all derive from Bill Jollitz port of
> BSD to 386.  Would be nice if we could still keep that first platform
> walking, even if speed can't be called running ;-)

The same comment applies.  Everything has changed dramatically.

> Maybe I'll get time to chase down all that came before
> 	http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=137784

I honestly can't see why you would want to waste your time like this,
but it's yours to waste I suppose.  (Even a notorious packrat like me
has gotten rid of hardware from that era.)

mcl