Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 03:04:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/x11/tix/pkg PLIST ports/x11/tix Makefile ports/x11/tix/patches patch-aa

 * I will be annoying in the same way as any upgrade of Tk. The installed
 * header (/usr/local/include/tk.h) is always that of the latest version
 * and may or may not work with a random Tk extension. The same holds for
 * /usr/include/tcl.h; we're just lucky enough not to have any programs
 * in the ports which depend on tcl-7.6/tk4.2 (Tix does work with these
 * versions).

No need to get to that.  Let's make this clear: we will not have
multiple versions of tcl/tk in the ports tree.  We tried it before.
It didn't work.

Unless Dr. Ousterhout does something about the files overwriting each
other (e.g., tk41.h, tclConfig80.sh, etc.), I don't see this situation
to change.

 * I do realize that this is somewhat controversial.

Not any more controversial than /usr/include/tcl.... :)

 * Let's see how long the ports dictator keeps those changes, if the
 * demonstrations continue. ;-)

I'm personally sick and tired of all the ports that insist to rebuild
x11/tk41 every time I touch my keyboard.  (And I have gigabytes of
disk space -- I don't know how you guys can put up with that.)

People will need to whine really hard to have this backed out. :|

Satoshi