Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 1997 17:52:01 -0600
From:      vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu (Kevin Van Maren)
To:        drussell@saturn-tech.com, vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMI BIOS on Titan PRO

>On Sat, 26 Apr 1997, Kevin Van Maren wrote:
>
>> Both BIOSes use the same Flash ROM.  Both BIOSes are both stored
>> in a 128k binary file that is written directly into the ROM.
>> However, the AMI BIOS uses a flash routine IN the ROM, so
>
>I would hope that AMI has a dos-based (or whatever) utility to flash their
>BIOS into the ROM.  Perhaps checking their web sight would help?
>
>I'm just guessing here, but you would think that they would have come up
>with a way to do this.  :)
>
>Later......						<Doug>

Why would AMI want you to use their BIOS over someone else's?
That jsut means that you are using their BIOS w/o paying roaylties...

There *is* a DOS utility used to flash the ROM -- however, it uses
hooks in the BIOS to do the Flash.  This has some advanteges,
as it doesn't overwrite the entire BIOS, which is supposed to allow
you to recover from a failure.

Kevin