Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 19:14:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew R. Briggs" <mbriggs@switchboard.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Quake II and Voodoo 2 problem

Hi all,
	I'm trying to set up Quake II to work with my Voodoo II card under
FreeBSD-CURRENT.  Right now, it only displays a blank screen.  Here's what
I did:

1.  Make world, build new kernel.  Everything's cool.
2.  Install linux_libs, linux_devel, linux_mesa, and linux_glide ports.
3.  'test-glide' from linux_glide doesn't work; I then read on DejaNews
that it only works on Voodoo 1 boards and I need to get the latest Linux
glide distribution (2.53) which is supposed to work fine.
4.  I do this; after extracting it from the .rpm (like pulling teeth) I
replace libglide2x.so and libtexus.so from /usr/compat/linux/usr/lib with
new ones, and install test3Dfx over test-glide.
5.  The new test-glide (test3Dfx) works; it shows me a nice spinning 3Dfx
logo.
6.  Quake II does not; setting it to load with glide and Mesa sends me to
black screen that I can't get out of (Voodoo 2 has taken over the video
signal).  CTRL-ALT-F1; login as root (blindly), reboot.

What am I doing wrong here?  Has anyone else gotten this to work?

Matt Briggs
mbriggs at switchboard dot net