Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2018 20:12:11 -0600
From:      Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
To:        John <jwd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        SCSI List <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>, Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /dev/enc@ SES doc?

If you have 3 shelves each with dual expanders, then you should have six
/dev/ses devices.  The fact that you see 12 means that something is cabled
incorrectly.  It sounds like each expander has two SAS ports (each of which
has 4 SAS lanes).  Are there really only two LSI 9300-16e cards?  It sounds
like there must be three.  What you _should_ do is connect both of each
expanders' ports to the same HBA.  That way it will form a wide port of 8
lanes.  If you connect a single expander to two different HBAs, then the OS
sees them as separate expanders and doesn't realize that they're really the
same.
-Alan