Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 00:54:43 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        Damien DIXSAUT <damien@cristal.cristal.asso.fr>
Cc:        Roy Teahen <teahen_r@cis.baker.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3C905B-TX, 3C90X, NIC and vx driver

Damien DIXSAUT wrote:

> > I guess I spoke too soon.  The cards will be found during the probe
> > and the vx driver will be loaded but once I configure the network
> > card the system will hang.  The card will not communicate with the vx
>
>    Ah ah... So, I'm not the only one having this problem.
>
>    FYI, since my last message about this problem, I have tried
> many things, including plugging the card in another machine and
> installing a brand new FreeBSD 2.2.6 on it, and I still get
> the same hang problem.
>
>    I tend to believe that the vx driver works whith 3C905 chips but
> not whith 3C905B chips.
>
>    After all, maybe 3COM had a good reason to change the device number ?
>
>    Now I guess we just have to wait until an updated version of the
> driver comes out.
>
> ---

Just FYI, I've had big troubles w/ vx and 3c905. Apparently, nothing has
been done to the driver since 1996, and it's marked as buggy. :(

I had a 3c905 on our server running 10 Mpbs, and it worked OK. After
changing to 100 Mbps, I got 1 (one!) Mbps from a Solaris machine, and
had to run most other fbsd workstations on 10 Mbps for anything to work.
Worked fine in cooperation with windows machines w/ the same NIC,
though.

Anyway, I threw it out. Now using an SMC, and everything is a OK.

/Palle