Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2002 07:46:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Scott Pilz <tech@tznet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sockets

	I'll buy whoever can answer this question a drink or two . .

	Story line: You got yourself 4.5-RELEASE, NATD/IPFW acting as a
firewall. Behind the firewall you have a private /16 block of IP
addresses. On the same machine you have 40 public IP addresses. You want
to open particular ports of these 40 ip addresses (not the same ports per
ip address) and then forward all data coming to those ports to one of the
private IP addresses in the /16 bit IP block.

	INETD falls short of doing this. I understand you can launch INETD
with command lines to bind itself to one particular IP address, but having
40 different copies of INETD running isn't wise (this is an assumption,
probably a good one). You can easily setup INETD to point to SOCKET(1)
and it will work - so in essence setting up 40 different INETD servers
binded to each IP address WOULD work but I think this would be silly.

	IPFW w/ NATD lacks any really good forward options - heck, it's
hard to get it to even work properly (and my understanding is that it
doesn't have support for forwarding UDP connections either which is a
must). So, here is my question: INETD alternatives that can handle what I
want this puppy to do? Or anyone find any way around this?

	Thanks,

Scott