Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 21:27:48 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/39147: minor editors/emacs20 build problem

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE

On 2002-07-29 15:05 +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Synopsis: minor editors/emacs20 build problem
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> State-Changed-By: naddy
> State-Changed-When: Mon Jul 29 14:59:08 PDT 2002
> State-Changed-Why:
> I removed the sys_nerr declaration from emacs.c.  I don't see how this
> could cause trouble.

Thanks for taking care of this.  The redeclaration wouldn't cause any
problems, if it used the same type for sys_nerr[] as is already used
in the system headers.  The first declaration of sys_nerr[] that
conflicted comes from stdio.h:

    root@hades[21:20]/usr/include# grep -n sys_nerr stdio.h
    238:extern __const int sys_nerr;                /* perror(3) external variables */

The sources of Emacs contain a redeclaration of sys_nerr which doesn't
match this type:

    root@hades[21:25]/var/tmp# grep -n sys_nerr emacs-20.7/src/emacs.c
    605:  extern int sys_nerr;

The missing `__const' caused the type mismatch, which in my case was
fatal because I had enabled -Werror for some test builds and forgot
about it.

- Giorgos

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE--