Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 20:39:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David H. Brierley" <dave@galaxia.com>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nonexistent

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Evren Yurtesen wrote:

> hello
> I have set my users to not to have shell access by setting
> their shell to /nonexistent I use wu-ftpd for ftp access...
> but now it does not let people do ftp to server...
> what should I do?
> I did not want to give shell access to users because
> of security reasons.

What I do is to set the users shell to /usr/bin/passwd and then
add /usr/bin/passwd to the /etc/shells file.  The real key to
whatever you do here is that the value in the shell field must be
listed in /etc/shells or ftp will not work.  The reason I use the
passwd program is that it provides the users with a means of changing
their password without requiring intervention by a staff member.
Once the users realize that this means they can change their password
to something that nobody else knows they tend to appreciate it.

--
David H. Brierley
    dave@galaxia.com