Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 07:16:44 +1000
From:      Stanley.Hopcroft@aipo.gov.au
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make GENERIC in 2.7.1-RELEASE resolved. Thank you.

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am writing to say that Mr Doug White has resolved the problem I reported
yesterday that after an upgrade from 2.0-RELEASE to 2.7.1-RELEASE, building
the GENERIC kerenl failed, and with a note about other make failures.

Mr White's suggestion was to

. rm -rf /usr/src/sys
. refetch the ssys distribution.

This worked.

When I built a kerbel to support AST compatible multiport (4 x 16450)
cards, make failed with

undefined symbol _sioi referenced from text segment.

This was an error in the kernel configuration file that escaped
/usr/sbin/config notice.

(Caused by an MS-Windows copy that truncated the right part of lines of
text, so that what should have been

device          sio5    at isa? port 0x2b8 tty flags 0x503 irq 9
vector siointr

appeared as

device          sio5    at isa? port 0x2b8 tty flags 0x503 irq 9
vector sioi )

Thank you very much,

S Hopcroft