Date:      Sat, 06 Dec 1997 17:49:15 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        dave@syix.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make World Fails

In article <3.0.2.32.19971206112246.008bb5a0@syix.com>,
Dave Overton  <dave@syix.com> wrote:
> I am rather new to the FBSD world, but not so new to BSD...  Anyway, I have
> ran a make world after doing a "cvsup stable-supfile", all went along fine
> for a while, then it did this....
>
> cc -O -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/awk -DGAWK
> -I/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/include -c /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/awk/builtin.c
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/awk/builtin.c: In function `sub_common':
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/awk/builtin.c:1123: `researc' undeclared (first use
> this function)
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/awk/builtin.c:1123: (Each undeclared identifier is
> reported only once
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/awk/builtin.c:1123: for each function it appears in.)
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/awk/builtin.c:1123: parse error at null character

Your file is corrupted.  Have you been seeing any signs of disk errors
or filesystem problems or RAM problems?  I'd run fsck if I were you.

Please move the bad file to someplace safe, then run cvsup again.
If the new one comes out the same, let me know and I'll check up on
whatever mirror site you're updating from.  But I strongly suspect
that the problem is in your system rather than at the mirror site,
because of the MD5 checksumming that CVSup does.

John