Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2001 01:42:01 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam@noc.everquick.net>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, rh@matriplex.com, brian@Awfulhak.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wes@softweyr.com
Subject:   Re: Authentic FreeBSD (Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral)

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 08:33:04AM +0000, E.B. Dreger wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 20:27:16 -0700
> > From: Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
>
> > such.  It's often the case that actually tracking the effectiveness
> > of, say, $500 towards some theoretically worthy cause costs you
> > thousands of dollars in man-hours.  Heck, If somebody tried to donate
> > a million bucks to the foundation right now, I'd actually expect the
> > current directors to probably scream and run away. :-)
>
> How about...
>
> 1. Programming contests with prizes (results committed)
> 2. Buying publicity (surely newscasters can be bribed)
> 3. Distributing as many CDs as AOL (might need more than $1M)

How about CD #1 as an insert into a computer mag like Byte or Computer
Shopper.

Better yet, put a label on CD #1 that says "Hot porn reader inside!" then
bundle with a computer mag. Thousands would install just to see our porn
reader. We just don't tell them that the porn reader is xv ;-)

For the humor impaired, that was a joke.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 4.3
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | www.bafug.org