Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 10:50:58 +0200
From:      Rolandas Naujikas <rolnas@takas.lt>
To:        Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>, dwcjr@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to manage multiple ports more efficiently ?

How to manage multiple ports more efficiently ? There are question that rise
for most administrators, and possible users of FreeBSD.

I'm personally have this algorithm:

1. Make some scripts like this http://www.mif.vu.lt/~rolnas/freebsd/ with
options, that I need.

2. Daily run ./make_rolnas fetch as non root.

3. After run ./make_rolnas update as root and see, if I need something to
upgrade.

4. If I need to reinstall all ports, I run "pkg_delete -a", and let
/make_rolnas install to run for night.

But there are some ports (like www/mod_php4 and now net/samba) that cause
problems, because those create additional files, when run fetch. When it
tries to create Makefile.inc there some problems:

a) it cannot create in /usr/ports, because it can be read-only mounted from
NFS server;

b) it cannot create in $WRKDIRPREFIX, because it can be read-only for user,
that run fetch or checksum.

There is not clear solution.

Rolandas