Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 13:49:37 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>, Patrick Greenwell <patrick@stealthgeeks.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall config non-intuitiveness

In message <20020125190552.E14394@blossom.cjclark.org>, "Crist J. Clark" writes
:
>But the current behavior of the two is inconsistent if
>'firewall_enable="NO".' If you have a staticly compiled firewall, you
>have a brick. If you don't you have a wide-open machine. The change
>would make it wide open in both cases. That is, when you do not have
>firewall_enable enabling firewalling, you don't have a firewall. (period)

We have numerous machines with firewall_enable="NO" (because we
don't want the rc scripts to touch the firewall config) and both
`options IPFIREWALL' and `options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT' in
the kernel config. A trivial firewall/dummynet configuration is
set up in rc.local.

In general, xxx="NO" in rc.conf means "dont start xxx", it doesn't
mean "don't start xxx, and if there is one running, kill it", i.e.
="NO" is an instruction to the rc scripts to do nothing (I'm sure
there are a few exceptions). I think the existing firewall_enable
behaviour is consistent with this, but a new "DISABLE" option could
be added without any problems.

Ian