Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2012 10:37:08 -0300
From:      Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br>
To:        perryh@pluto.rain.com, fbsd8@a1poweruser.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: virtualbox with FreeBSD as host

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 01:10:23 -0800
perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:

> Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
> > wrote:
> > > I do not run x11 or any desktop on my 9.0 host.
> >
> > This would be your problem.
>
> How so?  Surely virtualbox _should_ be able to hand off a VT to the
> XP guest, for it to use as a keyboard, mouse, and display.  (This
> supposes that the FreeBSD box in question _has_ a keyboard, mouse,
> and display, and thus has a VT that it can hand off.)
>
> Fbsd8 <fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> > I have 9.0 installed on my 200gb hard drive, it's configured to use
> > the first 100gb leaving the second 100gb free. I was going to
> > install XP in the second half and have a duel boot config. Then I
> > find out XP has to be install first on the HD ...
>
> The easiest solution might be to dd the first 100gb (containing
> the FreeBSD installation) to the second 100gb, mark the first 100gb
> as unused, and install XP there if it needs to be in the lowest-
> addressed part of the disk.  Back up the FreeBSD installation first!
>
> Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br> wrote:
> > To access the XP graphics interface, you NEED a graphics
> > environment!
>
> XP itself, when running directly on the hardware, provides its own
> graphics environment.

It also does that when running on a VM but it does not provide a
graphics environment for the host.

> It should be able to do the same running on
> a VM with a virtualized keyboard, mouse, and display.

To show a window you need a display that can show it, be it head or
headless. To diaplay a head, be it local or remote, the display must be
able to handle graphics to properly show the VM screen (head), and like
I said, I have no idea on how to do that on a text console screen.

--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br