Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 2002 15:00:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Alexander Kabaev <ak03@gte.com>
Cc:        <current@FreeBSD.org>, <developers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: GCC 3.2 in progress

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Alexander Kabaev wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Sep 2002 14:50:50 -0700 (PDT)
> Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:
>
> > From recent experience it is my estimation that a gcc upgrade sets 5.0
> > development back a month (that is, the last GCC upgrade kept *me* from
> > working productively for around a month due to various this thats and
> > the others). If that's what people want, that's fine.  I could also be
> > totally wrong, and this won't break things. I'm just a bit startled
> > that this appears out of nowhere (I sure don't recall it being
> > discussed) and just happens, with 10 minutes warning.
>
> Matt, the change was discussed several times on developers@, so this
> import is hardly 'out of nowhere'.

I sure didn't see anything on the recent 5.0 schedule about this.

Like I said- this is not meant to be hypercritical. Let's assume that
I'm not paying that close attention, like a *lot* of developers to the
flood of mail. There might have been a note about "new compiler import"
on the recent 5.X schedule changes that surely would catch the eye.

> > This is, IMO, why FreeBSD is not going to be very successful. You
> > cannot just make major toolchain changes w/o at least *some* belief
> > that this is going to be done well. Did you do a dryrun with the
> > import before checking things in?
>
> About five buildworlds on i386 and two on Alpha. Does that count as dry
> runs?

Surely they do. Did somebody in ia64 && sparc && ppc get a headsup?