Date:      	30 Sep 1998 10:59:39 +0200
From:      Walter Hafner <hafner@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        andriss@argate.com
Subject:   Re: maple or mathematica

andriss@argate.com (Andriss) writes:

> I have some info om mathematica for linux,
> but is there a native FreeBSD port of this
> program?
>
> More importantly, is there Maple for FreeBSD?

Unfortunately, neither of them exists for FreeBSD.

> Since Gimp exists as a GNU alternative to
> Adobe, maybe (I hope) there is some math
> package that has similar capabilities as
> mathematica or maple?

For my needs (PhD thesis in stochastic image processing) a combination
of Octave and gnuplot worked quite well - for matrix number crunching
and display, that is. Both of them are on the CD set. There are a few
more tools for numerical mathematics that run on FreeBSD: mupad,
scilab,... aswell as tools to display the results: ace/gr, ...

Unfortunately, there's no free tool for symbolic mathematics. I always
ended up using Maple on a Solaris machine.

regards,

-Walter Hafner

PS: If you do mostly numeric mathematics, Matlab (the commercial
version) is the tool of choice!

--
Walter Hafner_______________________________ hafner@in.tum.de
      <A href=http://www.in.tum.de/~hafner/>*CLICK*</A>;