Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 00:09:05 +0000
From:      Mike D <d01f1n@yahoo.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cable modem connection problem

> This sounds a lot like your cable modem provider throtteling the link if
> it doesn't see some sort of negotiation (DHCP, ARP, etc.) after a fixed
> amount of time. I could imagine that some companies do this for
> residential connections.
>
> Does your cable modem provide IP service, or do you need PPPoE or
> something like that?

they provide IP. I have this set-up:

INET---modem---10BT---FreeBSD---100BT LAN...

> Is this going out from behind the box, or coming in from the Internet?
> Also, do you see packet drops or RTT increases (define "slow").

going out. I haven't checked for either packet drops / RTT increase (how?)
but when I say slow, I mean for eaxmple to get www.google.com up takes 5-10
minutes. Also other machines on the LAN can not really get out at all.

Somebody mentioned on this list that deleting the arp table entry of the
default router of the cable modem provider (as a cron job) solved the
problem.

Could this have something to do with leases being renewed (by the isp dhcp
server and consequently the cable modem) and FreeBSD not updating routing
tables? (I'm guessing big time here - not an expert by any means)

Again, thanks very much for the advice so far, if you have any more would be
extremely greatful!

Mike