Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 23:04:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object versioning

<<On Fri, 29 May 1998 14:57:04 -0700, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> said:

> Fix the (broken) code in the kernel that depends on zero terminators in
> "magic" locations.

Um, no.  It's not broken.  The API is very clear: You Shall Zero The
Structure First.  There is a very good reason for this -- the routing
code doesn't know a damn thing about where the holes are in fifteen
random address families' sockaddrs are, and shouldn't need to.
Otherwise, comparison of two sockaddrs would require an outcall to a
family-specific function -- and all of my researcher friends would
laugh at me and tell me what an idiot the implementor of that idea
was.

-GAWollman