Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2019 11:08:55 +0100
From:      Goran =?utf-8?B?TWVracSH?= <meka@tilda.center>
To:        Phil Norman <philnorm@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XHCI reseting controller

--kqsrfgqu3gq426k4

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 08:15:07AM +0100, Phil Norman wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm afraid, as far as I can tell, you're out of luck here. I have the
> mini-ITX version of the same-named board, and it shows exactly the same
> problem. I haven't tried it on Windows, as I don't have a copy.
Thank you. This reduces the time I was willing to spend debugging the
problem.

> The best workaround I've found is to, every time I want to reboot, to a
> shutdown, then turn the power off completely (turning off the hardware
> switch on the PSU for some seconds, then switching it on before booting).
> This makes the USB system stable on boot, although I suggest avoiding
> plugging/unplugging USB devices, as it seems to create problems if done
> enough times. After a hard, power-off reboot like this, I've found the USB
> system is stable for many days - I've had it running over a month without
> issues. But any simple reboot will make it come back again.
Not the answer I was hoping for, but at least it's an answer. Thank you
and I can't imagine how many hours/days did it took for you to figure
this one out. I wish we can do something to manage it.

Hans Peter Selaksy, does USB stack implementation allows for devices to
be skipped on boot? Or any other suggestion, I'm willing to work on a
workaround be it in kernel or user space.

> If you ever find a better workaround for this, please let me know.
When I booted with no problems, I tried "usbconfig -d ugen0.2 power_off"
and what I saw is that ubt0 was detached once I did that. When I powered
it back on, the problem reappeared. I added this to /boot/device.hints:
hint.ubt.0.disabled=3D"1"

I hope that way FreeBSD will touch the problematic USB less. Accent on
"hope". :o(

Regards,
meka

> [...]
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have
> > https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X370%20Professional%20Gaming/i=
ndex.asp
> > and I have the following in my log:
> >
> > xhci0: Resetting controller
> > usb_alloc_device: set address 2 failed (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
> > usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed,
> > USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
> > usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=3D2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT,
> > ignored)
> > usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed,
> > USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
> > usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=3D2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT,
> > ignored)
> > usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed,
> > USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
> > usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=3D2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT,
> > ignored)
> > usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed,
> > USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
> > usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=3D2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT,
> > ignored)
> > usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed,
> > USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
> > ugen0.2: <Unknown > at usbus0 (disconnected)
> > uhub_reattach_port: could not allocate new device
> > usb_alloc_device: device init 2 failed (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
> > ugen0.2: <Unknown > at usbus0 (disconnected)
> > uhub_reattach_port: could not allocate new device
> > uhub2: at usbus0, port 1, addr 1 (disconnected)
> > uhub2: <0x1022 XHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 3.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbu=
s0
> > uhub2: 22 ports with 22 removable, self powered
> > xhci0: Resetting controller
> > usb_alloc_device: set address 2 failed (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
> > usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed,
> > USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
> > usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=3D2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT,
> > ignored)
> > usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed,
> > USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
> > usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=3D2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT,
> > ignored)
> > usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed,
> > USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
> > usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=3D2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT,
> > ignored)
> >
> > It goes on forewer. I see USB Gen2 on the board. Can that be the cause?
> > How do I determine the cause at all? On Windows, all USB port work, I
> > tested with USB audio interface.
> >
> > Currently running 13-CURRENT, tested with 12.0-RELEASE and Ubuntu, they
> > all have the problem except for Windows. When I run "usbconfig" it just
> > hangs. Any tips are welcome, even those on how to disable problematic p=

--kqsrfgqu3gq426k4

--kqsrfgqu3gq426k4--