Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2003 13:28:20 -0800
From:      Pat Lathem <plathem@ivestnw.net>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Copying of Developer's Guide

Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

>Pat Lathem <plathem@ivestnw.net> writes:
>

>>I recently tried to print out out the Developer's Guide at a local
>>Kinko's. They refused because it is copyrighted. They looked at page 2
>>of the guide, and decided that it was not explicit stately that
>>reproduction was allowed (in printed form). Could that page possibly
>>explicitly state that it is permissible to copy the Developer's handbook
>>(with whatever restrictions) in printed form? It would be greatly
>>appreciated.
>>

>I'm not sure which "page 2" you're referring to, especially since I'm
>not aware of a "Developer's Guide".  Making a few assumptions, I'll
>ask you to follow the "Copyright" link near the top of
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/index.html
>
>Is THAT what Kinkos finds insufficient?
>
>Do YOU think that would be insufficient?  Do you think it should be?
>
>Please state what you know of Kinkos' requirements (and it would be good
>if you could find out and tell us, if you don't know much about them).
>
>How are you supplying the "original"?  A URL?  A floppy file?  Multiple
>files?  How will they accept it?  Do they require that the license be in
>the same file as the document?  On the same web site?  Will they consider
>a semi-official (but non-binding) explanation of the license along with
>the license which they can't (or won't) understand?
>
>(This is the third time I've seen mention of Kinkos here.)

My apologies, yes I was referring to the Developer's Handbook. I
downloaded and printed off that section (the copyright section) which
happens to be page two of the RTF version.  I thought it was quite
sufficient, especially given that the handbook is presented on the
official FreeBSD website. I have hard time following that it is
allowable to view it online, but not print it (I suppose that is their
interpretation). Specifically what they found insufficient was the lack
of mention of printed form. The terms are set forth for for source code
form, and compiled form clearly in numbered items.

Yes they do require the copyright information be specified within the
document. They asked me to print the relevant section and then had
someone review if I could "copy" it (just print it, honestly).

I believe a non-binding explanation would be acceptable, but I'm not
sure, as they don't seem to have a clear policy. I'll try to obtain a
copy of their copying policy next time I am there, and can send it to
the list if desired.

Thanks for your time,

Pat Lathem