Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 21:59:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI3 cables

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Tom wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Brett Glass wrote:
> >
> > > Granite Digital is the best, and is not that expensive.
> >
> > I just checked their website, and their most inexpensive 3 foot 68 pin
> > cable was $149.  That's the single most expensive cable I've yet found,
> > and costs quite a bit more than the controller.  I didn't even look at
> > their more expensive, sliver and gold cables.  You may be right on their
> > quality, but isn't that price a little overkill?  Or does SCSI wide really
> > need that kind of care?
>
>   SCSI wide does not require that kind of "care", nor does SCSI-II, but
> ultra SCSI does.  The clock rate is doubled, and cable quality is
> important.
>
>   For me, buying a $150 cable for a $15K server is really good deal, and
> much better than pissing around for days getting rid of SCSI errors... but
> not everyone builds $15K boxes.

I was going to wait until I located a discounter to post this, but maybe I
shouldn't wait.  I had the wrong web page, I was looking at the one for
scsi external cabless.  The internal cable I think I'll get (as soon as I
find a discount place that sells Granite Digital, I've been told they
exist) will only cost 86 bucks, full price.  It's a lot for the
application (which isn't a 15K server) but not as outrageous as I
thought, for good quality.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |