Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2011 18:41:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD E-350

Tom Evans wrote:
 > No, its with a 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo, but that is largely irrelevant. With
 > VDPAU and a co-operating nvidia graphics card, you can decode full HD
 > no problem, with close to zero CPU usage:
 >
 > tom        47467  0.9  2.1 278464 87360   0  S+    4:32pm   0:01.21
 > mplayer -v /tank/video/recordings/hd.bbc.co.uk/2011/03/12/16_50_rugby-wales-vs-ireland-2011-6-nations.0.ts
 >
 > This is a 1440x1080 MPEG-4 AVC HD stream I captured over the weekend,
 > playing back using 1% CPU. I wouldn't have thought the CPU would have
 > that much effect on that.

Ah, very nice.  I didn't know that VDPAU has that much of
an effect on decoding.  My workstation has AMD graphics
which doesn't have VDPAU support, but it also has a much
faster processor so decoding full HD works fine.

So the only problem left is the fan.  On my router board
i have replaced the noisy 40mm fan with a low-noise 60mm
fan, using a 40-to-60mm adapter.  Maybe I can do the same
with such an Atom+Ion board.  Or maybe I can omit the fan
altogether if the HTPC case provides sufficient airflow.
(Of course, I'll monitor the temperature sensors.)

Anyway, thank you for the suggestion, Tom!  This really
looks like it might solve my problem.

Best regards
   Oliver

Perl is worse than Python because people wanted it worse.
        -- Larry Wall