Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 21:59:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        cjm88@home.com
Cc:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE Install problems, BOOT FAILURE after  freshinstallation

On Sat, 12 May 2001 cjm88@home.com wrote:

> Interesting... I had the problem with both 4.2 and 4.3... I am absolutely certain that I set the partition to 'Active' during the install
> process and that I selected the 'Normal MBR' option when prompted for what to do.  I tested with a drive that had not been 'dangerously

I thought it was write a [S]tandard boot manager, or [N]o boot manager...

Not I want to go look, maybe my brain is wrong.  :)

> dedicated' and everything worked fine... so... maybe the problem arises (or the bug is aggrevated) when doing an install on a device that had
> been previously 'dangerously dedicated'.... the other symptom that I noticed is that when I tried to install again after a failed install... the
> partition info was there but the partition that I had selected to be active was no longer marked active.

That's the trick.  If it was dangerously dedicated before, it didn't have
an MBR, the partition just starts at sector 0.  This can also happen if
you write zeros to a drive with 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/xxx bs=64k', etc.

Later......						<Doug>