Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 1996 00:14:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        "Freebsd.questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   QIC-80 & 15 day return policy

Hi,

I just purchased a Colorado Jumbo 350 QIC-80 tape drive, and I still
have 12 days left to return it for refund.

So far it seems to work. I can backup & restore up to 4meg or so of
files.  With anything larger, problems start. The problems are the
same that others have written about (www.freebsd.org archives):
'fdc0: output ready timeout' 'fdc0: input ready timeout'
'ft0: unrecoverable write error on block 3200'

I'm using the supplied tape that came with the unit, Verbatim DC2120XL
(425ft). Things go along fine, the tape zips by writing small files.
On the larger stuff, the tape zips by till it gets to the end, then the
'write error' message appears, and the drive inches along, short rewind,
inches along. This continues on & on, ft is unkillable, at which point
I shutdown.

My question is, before I return this tape unit, is there any quick fix
that will allow for reasonably large files to be written to this brand of
drive without the above mentioned problems?

I'm running a 486DX2/66 VLB with an ide harddrive. The mail archives
suggest that the Adaptec 1542 (currently $229.00) will work alongside
an ide i/o card.

The Colorado only costs $120.00, it seemed like a good deal at the time.
But the cost of the 1542, and whatever a tape drive for that card will
run me is a concern.

Thanks for listening.

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com