Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 2004 00:37:41 -0400
From:      Gerard Samuel <fbsd-questions@trini0.org>
To:        Joshua Lewis <jmlewis@dslextreme.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND9 REPLACE BASE BIND8

Joshua Lewis wrote:
> I have been having been having some issues with BIND that have been
> driving me up the wall. I believe I may have located the problem. I
> believe I had both BIND8 and BIND9 installed on the same system. So I am
> reinstalling from the ports collection and overwriting BIND8 completely.
> I wish to avoid this issue in the future. I found this in a how to
> online and was wondering if it is accurate.
>
> if you plan on upgrading your base system, add "NO_BIND= true" to /
> etc/make.conf to keep 'buildworld' from blowing away your current BIND
> install.
>

> For one thing there was no make.conf in /etc. Then the other thing is
> the syntax looks odd to me. I would have thought it would be
> NO_BIND="TRUE" as this is the syntax I have seen in rc.conf. Could
> someone set me strait?

First things first.  Please there is no need to shout your title..
Depending on which FBSD your're using ->
4.x.x -> /etc/defaults/make.conf
5.x.x -> /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf

These are the options that you can put into your custom /etc/make.conf file.

Hopefully that should clear things up...