Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 10:26:00 +1000
From:      david@burren.cx
To:        chad@DCFinc.com
Cc:        jamil_taylor@pobox.com (Jamil Taylor), wyrdwulf@catskill.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: digital camera

Chad R. Larson wrote:
> Mine is the earlier Mavica that writes to floppies.  Very handy.  It
> can make image copies of floppies, so you can leave a set of
> Thanksgiving pictures with the relatives.
>
> But with today's multi-megapixel CCDs, a regular floppy won't cut
> it.  Perhaps an LS-120?

There is one such camera on the market: the 3MP Panasonic PV-SD5000.
Check out http://www.steves-digicams.com/sd5000.html if you're
curious.
I'm not recommending the camera in any way though - it's big and
digicams aren't really one of Panasonic's strengths.  How popular are
LS-120's in the scheme of things anyway?

My own digicams (a Nikon 950 and a Canon D30) both use CompactFlash
cards, and if you have a notebook (or a desktop with PCMCIA slots)
I find just popping out the card and putting it (with el cheapo
PC-Card adapter) into the notebook is the simplest option.
CompactFlash is just a subset of PCMCIA anyway, and the cards just
appear as MSDOS-formatted ATA devices.  The transfer rate's not bad
either, except that there's no DMA support so lots of CPU time is
chewed up by interrupts.  Depends how much CPU you've got to spare
as to whether that's a problem.

I haven't investigated getting data off SmartMedia or MemoryStick
cards.  Most cameras with serial ports are supported by Gphoto, but
the transfer rates suck.  Many cameras now come with USB, and USB
card readers for all the card formats are also available.
However, finding one that uses standard umass protocols is a
difficult job.  Most seem to have done the normal USB thing and
invented their own protocol.  I'm impressed to hear that the Sony
DSC-S70 has done things the "right" way.  Also, I've noticed under
Win2K on a colleague's VAIO that the MemoryStick slot shows up as
a USB drive, but I don't know if it uses the umass protocols.
Sony even have a USB mouse with MemoryStick slot, which could be
useful if you wanted to read a card while the camera had a different
card in it....

Bottom line I guess - if you've got access to PCMCIA slots your
choice of camera is opened up a little more to focus on photographic
features.  Also, I've found that taking a FreeBSD-loaded notebook
with USB into camera stores takes the guesswork out of things.

Are we off-topic yet? :)
__
David Burren