Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:10:55 -0500
From:      Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   MFS Sizes over 470MB? Can't seem to do it...

Recently, I purchased a system with 1GB of memory, the hope being to take
768MB of it, and make it a MFS file system for doing buildworlds and releases
on. Currently, I set it up with (this is all on 3.1-RELEASE):

mount_mfs -s <size> /dev/da0s1b /mountpoint

I calculate "size" with:

(1024 * 1024 * desired MBs) / 512

The 1024s are to define the number of bytes in a MB, then I multiply by the
number of MBs desired (im my case 768 would be nice), and then devide by 512,
the number of bytes in a sector... This should then give me the number of
sectors I need to pass to mount_mfs.

Unfortunately, for increasing sizes of "desired MBs", there is a point at
approximately 470MBs where the MFS filesystem will no longer grow.

Now, another odd number that approaches this is that I have 512MB of swap
on the machine. I hope I'm not stretching too far to think that 512MB - some
amount of overhead (10%-ish) would create a magic number somewhere near
470....

Anyhow, my question is, are MFS file systems limited by swap space? If no,
is there any way to get a larger one configured. If yes, is it just a matter
of making sure there is sufficient swap space to back the size of the MFS?
	-Brian