Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 08:13:47 +0200
From:      Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>
To:        Marco Shaw <marco@nbnet.nb.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XDM problem?

Marco Shaw wrote:

> Before I configure my system to startup using XDM, I thought I would try
> running the command from the command line as root:
>
> xdm -nodaemon & (as specified in "The Complete FreeBSD" book)
>
> but when I run it, my system continously loops.  X starts, I enter my u/p,
> hit enter, then my system returns to the X login screen again...I can't
> cancel out or anything...
>
> Do I have a problem or did I issue the wrong command for testing purposes?

Most likely your .xsession script is buggy. Try to use the fail-safe
session feature of xdm. This can be entered by confirming the password
with F1 instead of Enter. Check the .xsession-errors file and remember
that when the last command of the .xsession script ends, so does your
session. So don't put it in the background :-)
Oh, BTW, this file MUST be executable ...

ciao
  lutz

--
Lutz Albers, lutz@muc.de
Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.