Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2002 14:06:05 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre@albsmeier.net>
To:        Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org>
Cc:        Andre Albsmeier <andre@albsmeier.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libc size

On Tue, 05-Nov-2002 at 14:22:41 -0800, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> Andre Albsmeier wrote:
>
> > I would like to compile the whole base system (maybe even
> > the ports) without the whole setlocale stuff. Do you have
> > any ideas of how to do this easily?
>

> Replace setlocale() in lib/libc/locale with a stub. That
> should do it.
>
> Of course, this doesn't really save you that much.
> Most binaries are dynamically linked, so this
> saves nothing on disk space for those executables.
> It's a couple of K for those statically-linked
> executables that use it, but there aren't that

Yeah, you are right. I had a look at it and its size nearly
doesn't count.

> many of them.  If you're worried about disk space
> for the locale data itself, you can
> simply delete any locales you don't use from
> /usr/share/locale

These are 548 files consuming 606 kB. Regarding the space it
is not so much as well... BTW, I deleted the stuff in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/* one day and my X didn't start
anymore. But for the stuff in the base system it might work...

Thanks,

	-Andre