Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:32:07 -0500
From:      "Benjamin T. George" <beng@thekeyboard.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Accessing Virus Infected (Boot Sector) HDD

Hello,
	I just got my FreeBSD 3.1-R system up and running (with XFree86 and a
mail program and everything), and my Winblows 98 system got hit by the
Win95/CIH virus.  (Luckily I have this system too, so I'm not without a
running computer :-).  Anyway, the computer is a P5-120 (it's a few
years old) so it doesn't have a flash BIOS (luckily... since the virus
attempts to attack it and then you have bigger problems).  So, the only
damage done, was the first megabyte of the disk drive was overwritten.
I don't have a backup of the drive because i just use it for home use,
and I wasn't expecting a virus (and I need some of the files off the
drive!).
	So, *MY QUESTION IS*: can I put the hard drive in my FreeBSD machine,
and mount it as a DOS partition so I can retrieve the files a needed?
Remember, the first MB of the drive isn't there, so there's no boot
sector or anything available.

PLEASE HELP!  Thanks in advance.