Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 2014 13:35:49 -0400
From:      Thomas Hoffmann <trh411@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   jail(8) - jail versus prison

I know very little about jails, which is why I am reading up on them.

In reading jail(8), I suddenly came upon the term "prison". In fact the
term "prison" is used 30 times in jail(8), while the term "jail" is used
228 times. Is this use of the term "prison" intentional? In reading jail(8)
it is certainly not clear to me whether  "prison" is being used as a
synonym for "jail" or is in fact a separate concept within a jail that has
not been previously defined.

The Handbook section on jails makes no mention of the term "prison".

Shouldn't jail(8) be consistent in its use of "jail" versus "prison" if in
fact it has no special meaning?

-Tom