Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:13:49 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        chris@tourneyland.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Preparing for a reinstallation

chris@tourneyland.com wrote:

> I have to reinstall BSD on a machine of mine, and I'm getting some vague
> warnings from a FreeBSD 'expert' (HAH!) friend of mine. (The reason I have
> to reinstall is  - well, never mind, but my friend is never telnetting in
> again). He's saying that  FereBSD won't create the file system unless the
> disk is formatted and clean, and that I have to format it from DOS,

You were right to put "expert" in quotes here. He's talking crap. If you
have the CD, just install as you did before, on top of your existing
system. Delete the partitions in your FreeBSD slice, re-create them
as needed, and off you go. (You don't need to delete and re-create if
you want to keep them the same size, just toggle the newfs flag (I
think that's the term it uses) so it says "UFS Y" when you're creating
partitions. This will wipe out the partition and start from scratch.)

But, *why* do you have to reinstall? And do you *really* have to, or was
this more advice from your "expert" FreeBSD friend?

> Yikes! Does anyone know what I should do? I couldn't find anything in the
> docs about reinstallation.

That's because you don't have to reinstall. This isn't windows, where
reinstalling the OS is the second solution to any problem (the first being
rebooting, of course).

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and