Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 07:59:48 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        John Long <fbsd1@pruam.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't locate Apache/Constants.pm in @INC

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 07:22:12PM -0800, John Long wrote:

> I assume that it is looking for
>
> Module          Apache::Constants (D/DO/DOUGM/mod_perl-1.27.tar.gz)
>
> However I have installed from ports
> Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.12 OpenSSL/0.9.6g
> server which is running just fine.
>
> Locate tells me there is no Constants.pm on the system so maybe this apache build
> is not quite complete? I tried to cpan, get Apache::Constants.pm but it is failing on test
> and it wanted to do a configure to apache but that does not seem to be wise.
>
> I am a little leery to install mod-perl for fear it will mess up my system. What would be
> the best / easiest way to get the constants package in there?

Apache::Constants is provided by mod_perl --- and the www/mod_perl
port is the best way to install it.  The port will install mod_perl as
a DSO without attempting to recompile apache:

    arbitrary:/var/log:% pkg_info -W /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/mach/Apache/Constants.pm
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/mach/Apache/Constants.pm was installed by package mod_perl-1.27

and it works just fine if you install the www/mod_perl port as a
dependency of apache+mod_ssl:

    arbitrary:/var/log:% pkg_info -r mod_perl-1.27
    Information for mod_perl-1.27:

    Depends on:
    Dependency: perl-5.6.1_11
    Dependency: apache+mod_ssl-1.3.27+2.8.12

although you do need to use 'pkgdb -F' to fix up the dependency
information --- the port assumes it's being installed against the
straight apache-1.3.27 port.

Whilst I have installed perl-5.6.1, mod_perl will work fine with the
bundled perl-5.004 on FreeBSD.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way