Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:40:09 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), mwm@mired.org (Mike Meyer), dchulhan@uwi.tt (Dale Chulhan - Home), chat@FreeBSD.ORG (chat@FreeBSD.ORG), TheTechies@onelist.com (My List), mbug@listbot.com (The Trinidad and Tobago Microsoft BackOffice Users Group)
Subject:   Re: Win NT vs UNIX ( cross fire )

At 08:04 AM 4/10/2001, Terry Lambert wrote:

>> I'm sure that this will be reverse-engineered.
>
>Only if the entire ActiveDirectory architecture is reverse
>engineered.  The cookie is an OID identifier (opaque, of course).

Well, it's already a given that ActiveDirectory is
completely proprietary and always will be, and that
it's designed to lock users into Microsoft products.

If one has tied one's shop into ActiveDirectory, then
one has committed (not irrevocably, but completely) to
being all-Windows. ("Abandon all hope, ye who enter
here.") There's no point in trying to sell UNIX into
a company that's done that. I know; I've watched them
put the blinders on.

>It's hard to find a shop that doesn't have at least some
>Windows servers.

These days, I've been specializing in removing them! My
consulting practice has focused, more and more, on
rescuing companies from Microsoft. Oddly, what does it
most of the time is Microsoft's horrendous licenses,
which escalate in price as soon as you're "hooked." Most
of these shops are so used to unreliability and security
holes that they don't even realize they can avoid these
things by going with a UNIX-based solution. When they
get their first dozen messages saying that a Trojan horse
was trapped entering the mail system, they're utterly
amazed....

--Brett