Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:36:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Joe Halpin <j.p.h@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about threading

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, Joe Halpin wrote:

> I've been told that threading in FreeBSD has historically had some
> problems. What is the current state of that (-STABLE and -CURRENT)?

Can you explain which problems? :)

Threading on 4.x has worked for some time, although its a somewhat limited
implmeentation. Its just userland pthreads so it doesn't parallelize well.

In 5.x, we have true kernel-based threads, but there's some problems with
certain programs.  Works great for KDE however. :)

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org