Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 00:56:24 +0900
From:      Taku YAMAMOTO <taku@cent.saitama-u.ac.jp>
To:        Gabriel <gmains@southwind.net>
Cc:        Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>, -mobile <mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ESS Maestro 2E audio controller

Dear Gabriel,

Long time no see!

At Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:05:56 -0500 (CDT),
Gabriel <gmains@southwind.net> wrote:

> Joseph,
>
> I am running 4.1.1-RELEASE and have a Maestro 2E PCI soundcard on my
> laptop. I went to you web site and looked at your kernel config file. All
> you need is:
>
> device	pcm
>
> ????
>
> Is that it? Mine doesn't seem to be working yet with that. Is there
> anything else I need to try?

To get it linked in your kernel, /sys/conf/files should be modified, too.
Say:
 dev/sound/pci/es137x.c	optional pcm pci
+dev/sound/pci/maestro.c	optional pcm pci
 dev/sound/pci/neomagic.c	optional pcm pci

Finally,
# cd /sys/dev/sound/pci
# ln -s /path/to/maestro/*.[ch] .

Then config && make depend && make.

Further info & newer version WERE available at
http://access.cent.saitama-u.ac.jp/~taku/freebsd/maestro/newpcm/
but now they aren't due to server's HDD crash :-(
Currently they are available via this mirror site:
http://www.edu.ics.saitama-u.ac.jp/~j9960yt/mirror/freebsd-newpcm/

Virtually yours,
YAMAMOTO, Taku <taku@cent.saitama-u.ac.jp>

Member of Advanced Computer and Communication Studies Society
(ACCESS for short), Information Processing Center, Saitama Univ.