Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 10:28:14 +0200
From:      braukmann@tse-online.de
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   success and happiness ...

Hello,

A few months ago I put together a new 'personal workstation'.
I've chosen:
  - Gigabyte 686DX (ATX)
  - PPro 200 (256kB Cache) * 2
    (couldn't get the 166MHz/512kB here in Germany)
  - 128 MB RAM (FP)
  - AHA 2940AU
  - IBM DCAS 4.3GB * 2 (narrow)
  - + network and graphics, etc.

The machine I've used before, was based on an ASUS T2P4 / P166 (other
components were the same).
The system gave reasonable performance for my unix-related work,
but rather p***** me off as a real-slow-M$-NT-developer-machine.

The new machine performs quite well under NT 4.0.

Running FreeBSD/SMP the machine has a real chance to show its
capabilities. Whow, ... it really flys along. ... much faster
than it was supposed to.
Concerning the success-stories about overclocking the PPros to
233 MHz I've tried that, too.
In fact, I reset the clockspeed to 200 MHz a few weeks ago, because
the performance at the lower speed is more than sufficient for my
purposes.

Thanks, ... many thanks to the BSD-Developer-Crowd ... especially
to the SMP-folks.

Regards,
   Andreas

--
/// TSE TeleService GmbH  |  Gsf: Arne Reuter        |
/// Hovestrasse 14        |       Andreas Braukmann  | We do it with