Date:      Thu, 02 Mar 2006 15:34:08 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: opinion on which software RAID to use

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 14:11 -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:

> Anyhow, I see at least three ways to set up a mirror of these drives
> and/or partitions:
>
>   gvinum
>   gmirror
>   atacontrol
>
> Any opinions on which has both qualities: easy to configure/manage
> (ie, recover after failure) and performance?  The handbook RAID page
> doesn't even mention gmirror.  The atacontrol seems very simple to
> use, at least.
>
> Let me know what you think.  Thanks!

For basic mirroring, I'd say go for gmirror.  I've been using it
successfully for a long time.  I migrated to it from vinum/gvinum
because it offered more flexible read load-balancing (you can choose
between various policies) and easier recovery.  It can even do N-way
mirroring.

I tried atacontrol in the past, but could never get it to reconstruct
after a simulated failure.  With gmirror, you have the option of
automatic or manual reconstruction for failed/stale providers.

You might want to consider gvinum if you think you might want to use
RAID 5 or LVM-type aggregations in the future, but if you are just
planning on mirroring I'd strongly suggest going with gmirror.

Cheers,

Paul.
--
e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu